When we want clarity, we are usually at a major choice point. We must decide on a new path, due to circumstances we are conscious of or maybe totally out of our control. We seek clarity when what we thought was our purpose or supposed to happen doesn’t work out. People die, accidents happen, challenges arise and the best laid plans fall through. Our human nature wants us to be clear when we are faced with unpredictability. We seek the next best alternative- often to end our suffering or return to feeling safe, secure and valued on our journey. Sometime we simply want to be clear about how to manifest what we want or develop more powerful skills. Any and all of these reasons and desire to be clear requires change. Brendon Burchard, a skillfull mentor in this area, states what we instinctively know: “Without clarity there is no change.” The Universe is ready to provide, but we are the ones who need to be clear about what it is we want.
In my spiritual practice, those who come to me for guidance declare they want clarity. They are tired of carrying the weight of confusion and doubt. Sound familiar? Many, myself included at various times in the past, want someone else to shine the light on our turmoil and give us clarity; to figure it all out for us. But I’ve learned that ‘seeking’ outside of ourselves does not work out for our highest good that way –at least in the long run– and here’s why….
Clarity does not originate from an outside source, although paradoxically, surroundings do play an important role (you will see how in my steps to clarity below). The popular phrase among New Agers, ‘What’s in your matrix?’ relays a valuable scientific understanding that everything is energy and energy either attracts or repels. Energy is the force behind what shows up and, primarily, you are the driver of that force. Do things happen outside of your control? Sure. People die, jobs disappear, disasters happen. But when you are uncertain about what you want, the weak unclear, or even fear-based energy of your thoughts, words and actions (and reactions) can attract anything and everything. Especially what you don’t want! So being clear is vital to attracting what you want in life.
The reality is YOU are the one who holds the key to your own clarity. The more people you ask, the easier your vision becomes muddied with everyone else’s opinions and agendas. Doubt creeps in and saps your strength and assuredness. Rather than wishing for clarity, you must go within to investigate the inner terrain of your own heart; dare to discover what you truly desire. A mentor may help you realize erroneous thinking and unconscious negative habits, but ultimately your journey must take you deep within your self. The heart is the doorway to clarity.
The universe is always asking what do YOU want? Once you tune in and declare your desires, then call in Source/God and your angels and unseen guardians. They are willing spiritual helpers whose purpose is to support and guide and whose presence is of high vibrational energy. But because of your free will, no force however well intended is allowed to step in and do the work for you. Spirit asks YOU to be clear.
Being in touch with your heart’s desires may feel uncomfortable at first. We are seldom taught this skill of going within for self-discovery. Society and well-intentioned families often reward putting others first, rather than honoring personal desires. Of course, there are times when you need to be of service and help those less fortunate. But to continually avoid your own heart’s calling keeps clarity at bay. Balance being self-less with acknowledging your ‘Self.’ This applies even if you are a Light worker, nurse, teacher or anyone ‘in service’ to others. Grabbing the oxygen mask first before helping someone else is the perfect metaphor for tending to your own heart and patiently listening to what it reveals. This is where clarity lives. Your heart is so committed to your personal growth it doesn’t care if it breaks. Your heart seeks expansion. It will break open to allow that to happen. Oddly enough, when our hearts break, clarity still resides within the pieces when we are ready to put aside our pain and bear witness to it. Go within and see for your Self!
Once you open to your heart, look around. The adage ‘As within so without,’ exemplifies the mirror of life and provides insight as to why you may be the one preventing clarity from showing up. Take an honest view of your surroundings. Have you made space for clarity? Do you make heart-based choices? Do you hold yourself accountable? Are you clear about your relationships? Lots to consider and examine both within and outside of you.
In support of all who seek CLARITY, I offer 8 simplified but important steps:
- Nurture yourself. You can’t be clear when you’re exhausted physically, mentally and/or emotionally. Honor what your body needs to be healthy and live in a balanced state. Ask yourself, “Am I doing everything I can to maintain health and wellness?” If you see areas for improvement, commence with the changes- even if they’re only baby steps. What’s important is that you begin.
- Make time to sit and be still. Do this until your meditation time becomes a habit. Quieting the mind takes practice. Allow your inner wisdom- your heart- the opportunity to be heard. Following the breath, repeating a mantra or listening to soothing sounds of nature are all conducive to getting your brain into the alpha state of quiet. Peace resides here. Then, pay attention to thoughts that arise. In stillness is the opportunity to tune into your inner guidance- your heart; your Higher Self. You will discover clarity.
- Clear your space. Your physical surroundings are energy, too. Look around. Is your living space or working area overly cluttered? Einstein had a messy desk, but he was so tuned-in to his genius that his desk made little difference. Most of us are simply not that aware and use only a small portion of our massive capability. So, take a revealing look into your closets and drawers. Are they jam-packed and filled with outworn or outdated belongings no longer worn or wanted? Do you hang on to things that trigger sadness or hurtful memories that keep you stuck in the past? Remember, your outer surroundings are a mirror of your inner terrain. Clear the energy of your ‘stuff.’ Donate items to charity or deliver to the trash. Let go of things that make you feel sad or remorseful. You can think and respond clearer when the energy around you is clear.
- Set boundaries for clarity. Keep those who would derail you from your purpose at a distance or at least limit time with them. And if this isn’t negotiable, be sure to step away often for breaks and be careful not to adopt anyone else’s negative attitudes or criticisms as your truth. Your journey is not theirs. Be polite but assertive. Energy vampires suck the life out of your being clear.
- Be mindful; focus on the present moment. ‘Now’ is a gift, a present of life. No more multi-tasking trying to overdo. Accomplishing more is not the answer. Slow down. Breathe deeply. Keep to the task at hand. Stop every now and then to listen to your heart, your body, and your loved ones. The sooner you realize how important it is to pay attention to what is right in front of you- ‘what’s in your field,’ the sooner clarity surfaces.
- Words have power. Use them wisely. Every time you declare, “I don’t know what I want,” you strengthen a denial of your heart. “I am listening more and more to my inner wisdom,” allows rather than negates your knowing. Stop reinforcing your doubt with words. Release habitual sayings that prevent positive change, like: ‘I can’t remember names… I will never get over ‘this’ or ‘that,’ I always have bad luck …’ Speak positively in order to clear out old patterns.
- Actions keep the momentum of clarity going. Once you tap in to your heart’s guidance, muster up the courage to act, Follow through with steps to anchor changes needed for growth and expansion. Trying is not doing. It may take more than once to hit your mark, but continually aiming at the target will strengthen your skill. Don’t try to aim. Aim and shoot. Like the sculptor, keep chiseling away at the concrete block to reveal the beautiful statue within. You will reap the reward of clarity through focused, repetitive action.
- Gratitude sustains positive energy. Being thankful for what is, allows the flow of Grace, reveals new doors opening as others close, and invites opportunity for positive change. Feel the wondrous energy of what it would be like to have what you want. Be it. Own it. Act the part. Thanking the universe for providing what you desire, affirms what you seek is available. You see, it’s already here… waiting for YOU to be CLEAR.